Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I am a 9 months old pregnant lady, can’t you consider it for me

 I am a 9 months old pregnant lady, can’t you consider it for me


Every Tuesday is our business review meet at Hulimau, Bannerghatta road, Bangalore at our regional office. It is located 16 km away from my store as well as  from my house. In Bangalore peak traffic hour, it usually takes more than 40 mins one way.

After a brainstorming heavy  session day at regional office, I was heading for my store by 1800 hrs. Since morning, my phone was in vibration mode due to the meeting. As I started driving my car, there was buzz buzz in my shirt pocket. I saw an unknown number with some strange number starting with +91725…, thought it must have been an outstation call from one of my close pals, so with my left hand I attended the call, while my right hand was maneuvering the wheel. A lady’s voice was on the other end “Are you the store manager of spencers hypermarket at sarjapur road? “. “Yes ma’am”. “Do you  take phone order and do home delivery? “ “No ma’am, we don’t do that. However we do free home delivery, where you have to come to the store, purchase the products and leave it there for free home delivery.”

“I am a nine months old pregnant lady, can’t you please consider it for me”. I mulled over for a few seconds, then told her” ma’am, I am driving right now, it would take me another 30 mins to reach my store. Once I reach the store, I will call you up and do the needful for you.”

Our system doesn’t allow us to take phone ordering/delivery. Every product has to move out from the store only after transaction takes place. However, my heart couldn’t refuse her request.

Reaching the store I cleared certain priorities which I had set on mind, and then after everything was through, I called up the lady and took her orders.  She ordered “5 kg ashirwad atta, 2 kg sonamasuri rice, 500 gm besan, 1 packet ashirwad salt”.

When I came down to the grocery section to start purchasing, I realized it was pouring cats and dogs.  I purchased everything for her, made the payment wit my own debit card, and taken a housekeeping boy to get it delivered in my car on my way home. She stays just 1km away  from the store.

When we were tracking the address  Eastwood layout, a beautiful layout, it was still drizzling and the house numbers were not written prominently, we were really struggling to locate the house. We got drenched while locating the house.

Finally, we reached the right place. She was so pleased and thankful to us. “You guys are wet, please take an umbrella”. “Its okay, we came by car”. Then she handed over the amount to me.

“Thank you very much- really appreciate your gesture. The manager himself came to help me out, a pregnant lady”, said she. “Ma’am, its okay, you take care”.

The effort was really worth it, she was immovable. Though the day was really hectic and heavy for me with my reviews and the brain storming session, after doing this good deed, I felt much lighter. Left the housekeeping boy at the store and I proceeded for home.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sir It’s a really exceptional experience of customer service. I know that you are always ready to provide customer satisfaction at any end. That’s why you and your team are very popular in all zones.
    I am also getting inspiration from you and your work.
    Thank you Sir for sharing your lovely experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a great soul Amrit , if i was in your shoes would have in all probablity found an excuse and carried on !! But thats me ..and you choose to be diffrenet ! Looking at myslef i think i have become so self centered that i hardly ever think about the other person who is in need or want of help !

    Mas , UK

    well done i m sure yu earned some brownie points here ;)

    PS : this is off base ..u know when i was in the middle of the content ..i thought this is perhaps gonna get interesting ..like the woman is not pregnant and she confessed when you reached her place and then coffee .... and ...all the ding dong !! LOL

    Cheerio mate !

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Mas-that could only come from you Mas!!LOL
    @Amrit-You are a genuine soul Amrit-a transparent individual and full of warmth.It did not come as a surprise to me coz I had already assumed when I read about the pleading lady that "bas-ab to Amrit ne jaate hi paehle uska order lena hai aur personally deliver karna hai"Being good always pays thats what I have realized.So stay the way u are always!

    ReplyDelete