Friday, August 20, 2010

The U turn incident in my life

“What’s that? “ I asked my buddy (a sepoy). A tracer round fired on me had just landed on the river beside me. “Sahab let jao!!!!!! Shouted my buddy (a sepoy). In the next wink of an eye, bullets were flying left, right and centre of my body. Some flew just an inch away from my ear, echoing the sound of its movement and landing on the river next to me. The firers were firing at me and my buddy from a dominating position and leaving no scope of movement, not even an increase of an inch of my body position to look at the direction where the bullets were coming from. Both of us slide towards the river and was taking cover, but the firing was still continuing. What were the thoughts that came to my mind at that moment??? One I didn’t lose my consciousness in believing in God, I was remembering Him and in Him I surrendered myself and the life of the buddy who was with me.


We crawled for around 300 meters to reach to a safer place, but still the bullets were not stopping. It was more than 200 rounds of volley of bullets that were being fired on me. HE was protecting me and HE had protected me. Was it that I followed all the basic skills that was taught during our training at the Academy? Was it that the firers were incompetent that not a single bullet could hit the target? Was it that whatever it was, as we used to accept to Destiny that the time was not ripe for me to go from mother Earth? I still don’t have the answer, just accepted that it was His will.

Later on when I stepped into the civil zone, people who discovered about my past profession always put this first question on me ‘How many people have you killed?’ At times it did really bewilder me how such a crappy question can crop up on their mind as if my sole intention of being in Army was to kill people. I used to answer that fortunately or unfortunately that wherever I was, there was only Peace; I was chosen by God to spread Peace, a messenger of PEACE.

When I narrated this firing incident back home, one they thank God for making me alive ,second all my family members , esp my dad started comparing me with that of a gold and iron , where all these metals come to their true original strength and beauty only when undergoing or exposed to the wrath of fire. I did find truth in it.

Undeniably yes, it did make me stronger and of course made me understand living life better. The aftermath of the incident made a sudden U turn in my life and shaped it in such a manner that I must enjoy and celebrate every moment of my life. Celebrate every moment of life has become my funda in life. What’s there to sulk in life, or is it really worth it to let some beautiful moments slip by in front of our own eyes just because of some imperfections. A big NO. Treasure every moment, make merry, create harmony with the people who matters the most in our life, that’s living life in the most beautiful way, coz life is beautiful and everything depends on the way we take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment